Filed under: I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO DO THIS FOREVER AND KEEP FORGETTING. Thus, I am doing it now, before I, uh, forget. Apologies for those folks whose dash this is spamming; I’m making it largely so I can link to it for reference in some places.
So, this is a post about fanwork based on fanwork and how I feel about it! And how I feel about it is great. If you want to podfic one of my fics, translate one of my fics into another language, make fanart based on one of my fics, remix one of my fics, write tags/extensions to one of my fics—basically, if you want use my fanwork as a jumping off point for the creation of more fanwork—the answer is yes. Please consider this post my blanket permission. You do not have to ask me; the answer is always yes. I am honored and thrilled that you’d be interested it doing it, and, as I always am, totally staggered by how amazing it is to be part of a community where so much collective creativity is even possible, let alone commonplace.
However! There are five brief little caveats. They’re under the cut!
1. If you want to create fanwork based on my fanwork that features non-con or dub-con not featured in the original piece, please talk to me about it first. The answer is still yes! But those topics can be triggering for me, so I appreciate a conversation first, so I can determine whether it’s safe for me to check it out/can gear myself up for doing so <3
2. If you want to create fanwork based on the fanwork of somebody who is likely to be a helpful and communicative human throughout your process and beyond, please try someone else. This is not because I am not honored and thrilled about people creating fanwork based on my fanwork! This is not because fanwork based on my fanwork, or anyone’s fanwork, does not deserve ALL THE ATTENTION AND PRAISE AND HELPFUL COMMUNICATION IN THE WORLD! This is not even because I’m not hugely grateful and awed when people make stuff based on my fics; I totally am. This is because I am an abjectly terrible communicator, deeply unreliable, and regularly completely fail at doing things like replying to stuff/linking to stuff/handling stuff like an adult. It’s a problem! I’m working on it! But nonetheless, it is true. TL;DR: I am terrible at communication, and may be terribly difficult to communicate with, and if you are expecting otherwise I will, regrettably, probably disappoint you. I thought it best to warn you up front <3
3. Specific to podfic and translations: if you want to add warnings/trigger warnings that are additional and/or supplemental to mine, that’s so fine! But please specify them as your own warnings, and please keep mine intact <3
4. Specific to podfic: I am okay with multiple podfics of a given story! In fact, I love it when that happens, because podfic is amazing and performative and I just think there should be so much more of it all the time. But! If you are not okay with making a podfic if it might turn out to be one of multiple podfics, you probably should not podfic my stories <3
5. I’d love it if you’d send me a link to what you’ve created! Again, I am a TERRIBLE communicator (see: point 2), so I apologize for myself in advance if you send me something and I fail to answer for an obscenely long time—it’s not you, it’s the fact that I’M THE WORST—but I’d love love love love love love to see/hear/read it <3